Linux and The Pipe

You know how I’ve been going on for months about switching Garry’s Mod over to the Steam Pipe. Well, that is about to become a reality. This week I merged with Valve’s latest code. There’s still a few issues to overcome – but I’m hoping that we’ll make the switch in the next couple of weeks.

This is going to present some issues for dedicated server hosting. It’s my understanding that it uses a completely different system to download and install the dedicated server. This is something that you might want to look at now if you run a server, but we’ll try to get an in depth guide on the wiki before release.

GMod Linux is kind of working. I have been told by people that they have got it working with a bit of fudging around. One of the few things I like about the Linux community is that they will go ahead and figure out stuff like this for themselves (the downside being that a lot of the time you’re kind of expected to). I’m not going to release a version before the Steam Pipe update – because that will fix a lot of Linux issues. Plus I’ll be able to iterate more quickly when we’re on the pipe.

You may also like...

26 Responses

1. chris toledo says:

As an exclusive Linux user I’m throwing money at the screen, this is great news!

• Yannis says:

This. I’ve been a member of the Facepunch forum for a long time. Really glad to see this happen, I popped a boner to this newspost as a full-time Linux user (I removed Windows when Crusader Kings II came out for Linux).

2. Anonymous says:

Not sure if you realized this, but you keep spelling “blog” incorrectly. There is no “f.”

• Anonymous says:

You’re retarded.

• Anonymous says:

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

On May 24th, 2012, an anonymous user submitted a thread to the /pasta/[1] board, claiming he had created the original copypasta two to three years prior (shown below).

• Bazmann says:

Please make your satire shorter.

• uh20 says:

please stop posting as an annonymous 3 times just to have a conversation with yourself

• uh20 says:

please stop posting as an uh20 2 times just to have a conversation with yourself

• MAEK_ says:

hey hey hey hey bros chill im sure it is all just a mis understanding.
      im sure that garry just spelled it wrong once and just went with it being all cool and stuff.
      also it isn’t neccicary to think somone has downs sindrome becuase they don’t understand somthing

• Anonymous says:

I’m not sure why you’d say I’m mentally challenged. I’m not the one who misspelled a small word. Look it up, it’s spelled “blog.”

3. Harry Jeffries says:

Oh my

4. Jim says:

weird, i actually find that whenever i ask a question about linux somewhere, i get a ton of answers whereas my questions about windows problems (i use both) usually go unanswered, or I get unhelpful answers

5. Calgacus says:

“But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.”

6. MOOSE says:

I’M HAVING FEELS! How do I stop these feels?!

7. Chris says:

Thanks Garry for the work. I hope I can convince you a little about why Linux is better.

My advice is skip Ubuntu, its a good distro, but Linux Mint is better. I suggest downloading Linux Mint with Cinnamon. Then using the Linux Live Usb creator to try it out.

Its sad to see you post comments about problems you are having on Linux. This is really unusual. As all free drivers are shipped with the kernel (as opposed to being manually downloaded and installed), the majority of people will have better compatibility with their hardware than in Windows.

Wouldn’t you prefer a platform that gives you control over YOUR own system? Any concept of “control” you believe you have on windows is a joke. This is only going to get worse. Doesn’t stuff like Metro being forced on you concern you at all?

Transparency means that sloppy code and security faults can be seen by the whole community. Since we have billion dollar industry’s relying on Linux to function, we have a lot of eyes on code.

Also the Linux community is based on giving back. Windows and Mac OS X function purely for profit. The Linux community is made up of commercial interests and hobbyist working to achieve the best operating system available. I believe they have well and truly succeeded.

• ondepyrat says:

I’ve used Linux off and on for a while and I agree. While Ubuntu is sort of nice, I prefer Linux Mint since it’s a lot easier and has a helpful community behind it. Not saying Ubuntu isn’t helpful, it’s just that I hate Unity and Gnome 3. I like the fact that Linux Mint lets you use GNOME by default if you dislike Cinnamon.

• lyoko2 says:

Linux Mint predents to be unrelated to ubuntu. this is distgusting. also, those guys make money from the search engine they added to the default firefox.

• neothefox123 says:

They make a little money, so what?
      And they are unrelated – the forked ubuntu, now they have totally own way. Ubuntu went down at 11 version, and Mint forked because they wanted to continue making distribution people want, not canonical. So yes, they are unrelated.

8. NeoTheFox says:

Whell, one thing I really love about Garry is what he is still bringing out Gmod for Linux. He may not like Linux at all, he may think linux users are show-offs, but he still puts as much effort in porting as he can.
    Thank you for the work!

9. MOOSE says:

Garry, Windows is losing steam (and Steam) and as said, it’s only going to get worse. Microsoft is trying to move its users to a walled garden environment and that will only hurt developers like you who like to tinker and mod.

Microsoft is losing whatever innovation it had to a bureaucratic corporation hierarchy that stifles innovation for seniority and tenure. Any change is seen as risky but risks are required for innovation. This is true in most companies that have business partners that require stability and long-time support, which luckily you as a game developer do not have to encounter.

Here is a saddening article on the true state of innovation within Microsoft:

This is in sharp contrast to Linux where developers fight to bring honor to their skills as a hacker. Stability is still present in Linux, such as with Debian, but the environments offered by other distributions can be bleeding edge.

If you really wanna pull your hair out you could install Arch and/or Gentoo. At first, you’ll struggle, you’ll curse, and you’ll scream. It’ll seem like the most over-complicated and unsimplified mess of a system. However, that’s not true. Linux is based on Unix, and that means a lot.

“UNIX is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity.” – Dennis Ritchie

I know you’re a hacker by heart, Garry. Not hacker like the media portrays, but an old-fashioned hacker. You love to tinker, you love to create, and you love solving problems. Once you get used to Linux, there is no going back.

You can email me if you need any help with Linux. I’ll happily install Ubuntu on another box and follow you through every step!

enzi [at] fuzo.us

I hope you have a wonderful time with Linux, and happy hacking.

10. tom says:

Thanks for Steam Linux release.

11. swag says:

i need help to download gmod 9

12. chipper says:

is it free

13. chipper says:

by the way im the guy called swag. so plz help me