Steampipe Beta

Ok this is gonna get confusing. We converted the GMod beta to use Steampipe. This all went fine. So now we added a beta branch to the normal non beta GMod .

So forget about the GMod Beta. Get rid of it. Uninstall it. We don’t need it anymore. It’s not gonna be updated. On the normal Garry’s Mod you have this option now.

Selecting this branch will convert you current Garry’s Mod to the Steampipe Beta. There’s a couple of reasons you won’t want to opt into the new beta.

• It will convert your install to Steampipe
  • Switching back is messy and might not work at all
  • You might lose your addons and stuff
  • You won’t be able to join non-beta multiplayer servers

There’s a couple of reasons you might want to convert to the new beta

• Updates every hour
  • Want to test your mods and addons with the new version
  • Like being on the latest version
  • Faster load times
  • Install on a different drive
  • All the lua files are loose and visible instead of being in a gcf
  • Rift support
  • Experimental Linux client support

To join the new beta you’ll have to guess the beta access code. It’s the same as the secret word in game.

You may also like...

99 Responses

1. BUS says:

So… Time to say goodbye to having both normal version and latest beta. Hooray…

• Ondra says:

Once the release version is also converted to SteamPipe, you can switch rather painlessly between release and beta by choosing which you want on the Betas tab.

2. Great, opted-in. Exciting times

3. Clavus says:

You had me at Rift support.

4. sheepxpy3 says:

i am freaking out

5. sheepxpy3 says:

I got it installed and up in till I hit play it said missing executables. still not able to play on linux. :(

6. Get this when I click play on the Linux version

Failed to start game (missing executable)

7. And I guess you still need some kind of beta key because it doesn’t appear for me.

8. Does the Rift support include independent Gun and Head-Rotation? can’t wait to to get home.

9. Posted a video on how to opt-in to this beta here:

10. NeatNit says:

Garry, please find a way to remove Garry’s Mod Beta from Steam altogether. For a bunch of us it’s annoying that it appears on the list and now it’s 100% officially useless.

11. Jannes Verlinde says:

Why can’t I select any betas?

12. seltar says:

If I add -vr to the launch options, the game starts briefly in stereo (one blue and one black screen) and then exits. Am I supposed to turn on oculus support some other way?
    Thanks

13. I seem to be having a problem where most of my HL2 textures IN MAP do not load. I’ve tried completely reinstalling + moving HL2 to SteamPipe, same with Gmod, but no good.

14. Mmm_Toasty says:

So is anyone going to play this with me? :)

15. Sealer says:

No luck on Ubuntu 13.04, system up to date, Gmod freshly installed with beta, and ran an integrity check.

Crashes on startup without an error ( doesn’t even launch window )

That’s expected, but just wanted to let you know!

16. Andrew says:

in my garry’s mod 13 linux does not start, but took the secret code garrysmod be downloaded but will not start, what garrysmod beta starts but then got this error message after the start, something I feel I have a lot will have to wait until the full version

17. Andrew says:

ERROR

MountAppFilesystem() failed:
    SteamMountAppFilesystem
    (4000,4294967295,0xb7b8cd78) failed with error
    166: Cache needs repair

18. Andrew says:

I suppose mac users cant use the beta?

19. salamanderrake says:

I am posting the latest failure here since I don’t knw where else to post it. I got this far after copying the nessery .so libs from the windows install to the linux install since they were not downloaded with the linux beta.

• luckyxxl says:

that’s how far i came too

• salamanderrake says:

I removed all the *.so libs I copied over and re-verified the cache and they were still missing, going to leave it at that till he adds the *.so’s to the beta.

• luckyxxl says:

yap, there is probably no other solution :(
      please hurry, garry ;)

20. Bloxwich says:

Bloxwich. is the phrase.

21. boxtropica says:

I am possibly one of the happiest people alive. LINUX DEV BUILDS! YES!

22. Andrew says:

I also have a different problem, most of my games like portal 2 and tf2 download maps into the ‘other’ category. I have 116 maps now in that category, please help. Is there a way to remove the maps from the other category without disabling the addon?

23. I can’t see the beta option in my Garry’s Mod, but I can in the beta (former 13) one… Will you please remove it completely as it’s useless now, and put the beta option into normal GMod? Thanks

• salamanderrake says:

You have to enter the pass phrase to see the beta option. you will have to find it on your own though since I dont know how garry will take it posting it here.

24. salamanderrake says:

The next bug message box pops up and tells me ” could not load library client (Unknow Error)”

terminal output.

“`
    [0530/102552:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
    [0530/102552:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4000
    Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197986111182 [API loaded no]
    Did not detect any valid joysticks.
    Could not load program cache file glbaseshaders.cfg
    Could not find base GL shader cache file
    Could not load program cache file glshaders.cfg
    Could not find user GL shader cache file
    Precache: Took 0 ms, Vertex 0, Pixel 0
    /home/salamanderrake/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/GarrysMod/hl2.sh: line 67: 2482 Segmentation fault ${GAME_DEBUGGER} “${GAMEROOT}”/${GAMEEXE} “$@”
    Game removed: AppID 4000 “Garry’s Mod”, ProcID 2482

“`

25. salamanderrake says:

Now I see the face punch logo and the status bar starts going then I get “Couldn’t Begin to load GameUI”

“`
    [0530/113352:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
    [0530/113352:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
    Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4000
    Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197986111182 [API loaded no]
    Did not detect any valid joysticks.
    Could not load program cache file glbaseshaders.cfg
    Could not find base GL shader cache file
    Could not load program cache file glshaders.cfg
    Could not find user GL shader cache file
    Precache: Took 0 ms, Vertex 0, Pixel 0
    ConVarRef mat_dxlevel doesn’t point to an existing ConVar
    Game.so loaded for “Garry’s Mod”
    LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
    /home/salamanderrake/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/GarrysMod/bin/awesomium_process
    [0530/113400:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

“`

• salamanderrake says:

Ok now the fills up past the boundry of where the status bar is and then freezes.

“`
      [0530/130023:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
      [0530/130023:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
      Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4000
      Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197986111182 [API loaded no]
      Did not detect any valid joysticks.
      Could not load program cache file glbaseshaders.cfg
      Could not find base GL shader cache file
      Could not load program cache file glshaders.cfg
      Could not find user GL shader cache file
      Precache: Took 0 ms, Vertex 0, Pixel 0
      ConVarRef mat_dxlevel doesn’t point to an existing ConVar
      Game.so loaded for “Garry’s Mod”
      LaunchProcess: failed to execvp:
      [0530/130031:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
      [0530/130033:ERROR:child_process_launcher.cc(226)] Failed to launch child process

[0530/130229:ERROR:child_process_launcher.cc(226)] Failed to launch child process
      [0530/130230:ERROR:child_process_launcher.cc(226)] Failed to launch child process
      /home/salamanderrake/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/GarrysMod/hl2.sh: line 67: 4683 Killed ${GAME_DEBUGGER} “${GAMEROOT}”/${GAMEEXE} “$@”

“`

• salamanderrake says:

garrysmod starts up now but the menu is messed up.

“`
      Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20130528172028_client)
      Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)
      [0530/151121:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
      [0530/151121:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation
      Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 4000
      Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197986111182 [API loaded no]
      Did not detect any valid joysticks.
      Could not load program cache file glbaseshaders.cfg
      Could not find base GL shader cache file
      Loaded program cache file “glshaders.cfg”, total keyvalues: 2, total successfully linked: 2
      Precache: Took 29 ms, Vertex 64, Pixel 3
      ConVarRef mat_dxlevel doesn’t point to an existing ConVar
      Game.so loaded for “Garry’s Mod”
      [0530/151129:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(239)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

“`

• salamanderrake says:

some screen shots of in game, still needs work though. missing tool gun.

26. G-Phys says:

For me G-Mod works fine, but it sometime crash (I don’t know why) and I didn’t try multiplayer.

27. Gonzalo says:

A question mr garry!
    The vpk from addons will be loaded? Or at the moment that isn’t implemented

28. Jannes Verlinde says:

For some reason all my textures are messed up. Fix on the way?

29. zacpiersoftwareZacpier says:

It is possible to opt-out? I would like to join servers again, but I can’t seem to download GMod without it downloading the beta.

30. V-Rico says:

What’s the secret word? :( I can’t understand…

31. Felix says:

Awesome, someone feeling to set up a server for us to meet on?

32. Felix says:

Agh… was going back to play, stupidly of me I thought that reinstalling the whole thing would work. Anyone got any advise?

33. Dusty says:

You broke Garry’s Mod… why would you “fix” something that works perfectly fine? It’s a big clusterfuck converting to steampipe now.

• Felix says:

Got it fixed, I took the old Garrys Mod folder from my other account over to this one, I deleted local data and installed it again, then disabled autoupdates. Now it works

34. Luc Step says:

The beta code doesn’t seem to work anymore, I get “beta access code invalid” when clicking on the Check Code button after entering the magic word bloxwich :-(

35. Joseph Brand says:

I had gotten a beta key for gmod before 13 came out, and it was amazing. But a little while after, my 7 year old laptop crashed to where I couldn’t repair it or get anything out of the hard disk. Is there some way I could get it again?

36. Zach says:

My Addons are messed up. I now have every addon that I ever had and still have. Its a mess for me. could it be a glitch? Or just something with Steam Pipe?

37. mohamad says:

hey v rico what is the code, help us here.

38. Hey, just letting everyone know, you no longer need the code, just opt into the dev branch, that’s all.

39. zwickarr says:

got latest Gmod, opt’d in the beta, entered in -vr to the launch options, game loads for a few seconds, see a slit screen in window mode, one side black, one side blue, game closes.

40. Jermaine says:

How to get gmod 9 free download???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

41. koolkendall says:

STOP SPAMING COMMETS! XD

42. andrei777 says:

надо зделать бесплатную бута версю в каторую можно будет играть всегда

1. May 28, 2013

[...] 2. Enter “bloxwich” for the access code and check it. Garry posted the hint here [...]

2. May 28, 2013

[...] Garry höchstpersönlich hat heute in seinem Blog ein Changelog, der Oculus Rift Support ankündigt, [...]

3. May 29, 2013

[...] Newman, разработчик Garry’s Mod, в своем блоге анонсировал перевод бета-версии Garry’s Mod на использование [...]

4. February 6, 2014