Thursday, July 4, 2013We plan to have a gamemode contest some time soon. So I've got a list of things I want to get ready before then.
One of those things is to do with how we get files from servers. When I switched over to Steampipe I lowered the downloads table from ~8000+ entries to ~4000. What this means is that when you join a server they can only make you download 4,000 files now. Which to any sane person would seem more than enough. Who wants to force their clients to download more than 4,000 files when joining their server?
It's a problem that has long plagued joining a Garry's Mod server. Downloading thousands of files is not fun. But you would not believe the amount of emails I received about it. They can't possibly run their gamemode any longer without being able to fastdl 6,000 files to the clients! It is impossible!
So now, this:
Server owners can specify addons that their servers need. These addons are downloaded from the workshop. This is much faster than the old way. Here's a list of stuff:
- Current Gamemode and Current Map is automatically added to the download list
- Can use resource.AddWorkshop to add other addons
- The old way isn't going away - this is offered as a better alternative
- Addons aren't subscribed to - and are only mounted when the server needs them
- Addons aren't downloaded every time you join the server
- Addons are updated when the workshop version is updated
- We added a special tag for server owners to add their content
One other thing about Workshop while we're on it. Every time I talk about Workshop someone mentions that the license means that Valve owns all of your stuff and so they won't upload any of their addons to it. This all started with Wiremod. They won't upload to it because they say the GPL license is incompatible with Workshop. Well duh - GPL license is incompatible with everything. It's an awful viral license. The Workshop license gives Valve the proper permissions to distribute your files - that's what it is for. It has to cover a huge range of subjects so it's as over-reaching as possible. No-one really cares about these licenses. Valve is just covering itself here. It's standard stuff. Do you really think that Valve is going to take your addon and turn it into a game and sell it? Is that really what you're worried about? Valve are good guys. Just put your stuff on Workshop and stop being a fucking arm chair GPL lawyer baby.
If you're a server owner and you're not using the workshop to do stuff yet - take a look at this. It will show you how to set up a server that:
- Connects to Steamworks
- Downloads a collection of addons, gamemodes or maps
- Mounts those files
- Runs the gamemode
- Starts one of the downloaded maps
- ALL WITH NO MANUALLY DOWNLOADING AND INSTALLING OF ANYTHING
Turn your phone to view blog list